Data Structure and Algorithms
Concept and definition of data structures
• Information and its meaning
• Array in C
• The array as an ADT
• One dimensional array
• Two dimensional array
• Multidimensional array
What is data structure?
- Data structure is a way of organizing all data items and establishing relationship
among those data items.
- Data structures are the building blocks of a program.
Data structure mainly specifies the following four things:
• Organization of data.
• Accessing methods
• Degree of associativity
• Processing alternatives for information
To develop a program of an algorithm, we should select an appropriate data structure for
that algorithm. Therefore algorithm and its associated data structures form a program.
Algorithm + Data structure = Program
A static data structure is one whose capacity is fixed at creation. For example, array. A
dynamic data structure is one whose capacity is variable, so it can expand or contract at any
time. For example, linked list, binary tree etc.
Abstract Data Types (ADTs)
An abstract data type is a data type whose representation is hidden from, and of no concern to
the application code. For example, when writing application code, we don’t care how strings
are represented: we just declare variables of type String, and manipulate them by using string
Once an abstract data type has been designed, the programmer responsible for implementing
that type is concerned only with choosing a suitable data structure and coding up the methods.
On the other hand, application programmers are concerned only with using that type and
calling its methods without worrying much about how the type is implemented.
Classification of data structure:
• Array is a group of same type of variables that have common name
• Each item in the group is called an element of the array
• Each element is distinguished from another by an index
• All elements are stored contiguously in memory
• The elements of the array can be of any valid type- integers, characters, floatingpoint types or user-defined types
Download the pdf file to get all the unit wise notes.
Try to save your valueable time!